As per Hiuen-Tsang, the site had earlier a big Buddhist vihar and a Stupa were in the holly tooth of lord Buddha was placed, the traces of either important heritages are not seen now arround. In ancient past, the site has been now with kashmiri's as "Kuntilan". Present Pari Mahal is located in the glen of Zabarwan Hill on a spur between Cheshma Shahi and Oberoi Palace on the southern side of famous Dal Lake adjacent to Raj Bhawan (Governor House).
It was built by prince Dara Shikoh, eldest son of Shah Jahan for his respected tutor Akhund Mulla Shah. Besides Akhund's summer residence, Pari Mahal consisted of the two schools of Astrology and Sufism. The name seems to be distorted virsion of "Pari Mahal". Upto recent past, it had woren a desolated look and had fallen in complete gllom and oblivion, believing that it was hunted by gosts. Between late sixties and early seventies, the goverment has started its repair and renovetion work through department of Parks/ Garen and floriculture in association with state department of archelogy.
The programme was carried under the leadership of Prof K.N. Koul alias Manaji. Subsequently, it was thrown open to public visit as well. Recently a motorable road has been opened from Chasma Shahi garden to this important heritage site. the garden wears now a beautiful and captivating look. Lighting effects have been introduced in the garden which attracts large number of visitors during summer evenings. It is haveing seven terrace (up hill) and it did not have a central canal or a cascade like other traditional Mughal gardnes. The watter was begin carried from an adjacent spring through underground earthen pipes, to irrigate the garden. It is surrounded by a wall and is speread on an area of 3.2 ha. From this gardenm, one can enjoy a panoramic view of the whole Dal Lake.
It is situated high upon the slope of a mountain (Zabarwan) overlooking Dal Lake. It is about one km from Pari Mahal. The garden was laid out in 1642 AD under the orders of Shahi Jahaan by Ali Mardan Khan governor of kashmir. It has a famous srping of cool transparent sewwp water having unparallel digestive qualities. the garden is having three terraces, central aqua duct tank, water fall and fountais which are fed by Sparkling waters from the spring. The garden is spread over an area of 6.5 ha and has been extended from both east and west side further, to accommodate more number of visitors who throng the garden especiallay at dusk hours in the summer. Lightning effects have recently been intrroduced to increase the grace this mughal garden.
This garden is about 533 m long and 332 m wide spread over an area of about 20 ha. Surrounded by a stone and brick wall, the garden is arranged in ten terraces, 5-6 m wide, one above the other. It has a line of tanks along the centre of garden, connected by a canal, which enters from upper side and flows through the successive terraces in cascades. the garden has a beautiful pavilion at he upeer treeace where from the whole garden including Dal Lake can vieved.
the garden has two side paths on either side of the central canal. The entire garden is full of beautiful seasonal flowers, ornamental bushes and avenue trees planted in a frmal type of mughal garden. The garden was laid out by Asif Khan, brother of Noor Jahaan, beloved queen of Emperor Jehangir in 1636 AD. The garden is located just on the fringe of Dal Lake.